Cybersecurity Strategy Assessment and Implementation for the Energy Sector
Key to the successful deployment of the Grid infrastructure is the development of a cybersecurity strategy. Cybersecurity needs to be designed into the new systems supporting the Smart Grid, and added into existing systems without extensively impacting operations.
For successful development and implementation of a secure Grid infrastructure, two key actions must occur – designing cybersecurity functionality into emerging interoperability standards that support the Smart Grid and adding cybersecurity into existing interoperability standards.
Consulting Services Objectives:
- Provide recommended security requirements that may be used by strategists, designers, implementers, and operators of the Grid, in their job functions at, utilities, equipment manufacturers and for guidance to regulators.
- Create and maintain a logical reference model of the Smart Grid, which enables the creation and maintenance of a logical security architecture.
- Identify and clearly describe privacy risks and concerns with developed or emerging interoperability standards for the Grid, and then determining the most appropriate and feasible practices for mitigating the risks.
- Identify Grid cybersecurity-specific gaps and challenges and address the identified gaps.
- Develop cybersecurity and privacy resources that can benefit stakeholders.
Strengthening the cybersecurity management capacity of the African Energy Sector
- Support the African energy sector capacity and power industry to strengthen their readiness to respond to cyber threats.
- Support the capacity of African power and utility organizations to mitigate the effects of cyber threats through increased policy, legal and regulatory mechanisms, harmonized legal framework, coordination and cooperation, development of infrastructure and services, investment and research, training and education, sustained engagement of stakeholders, and improved readiness capacities.
- Support focused coordination and cooperation among all stakeholders in-country and regionally.
- Support the implementation of new technologies and the adoption of best practices.
- Support mechanisms for African power and utility organizations to maintain relations and cooperation with regional institutions.
Capacity Building Program Implementation Framework
Coordination and Cooperation
Focused cooperation; Planning and engagement structure between stakeholders; Roadmap for policies implementation; Awareness and ICT readiness strategies.
Engagement and Assessment
Increased stakeholders participation in the process; Information sharing and data analysis; Strategies for cybersecurity resilience.
Training, Education and Exercise
Workforce education and development; National, regional and local exercices; Cybersecurity resiliency and readiness toolkits.
Technical Assistance and Support
Monitoring and evaluation of capacity building; Roadmap for improving capacity; Delivery of technical assistance and services.